Definitely Linux is the one, most professionals prefer today than any other operating systems like Windows, Mac because Linux particularly Ubuntu have got more apps than any other operating system. Ask yourself what Linux can’t do and if you don’t know what Linux can do read some articles from internet and get some knowledge and you will appreciate installing Linux on your system.
We understand that most of Windows users can’t run out of windows life and install Linux as your main operating system. So, you may go for dual-boot option but learning things in Linux is not an easy task. Hmm so what you do now to run Ubuntu Linux apps on windows. You don‘t need any skills to do that but installing an application called “andLinux“ on your windows system can do that job for you. With this application you can run Ubuntu Linux Apps with Windows Apps side-by-side.
Before going to install andLinux you should know what andLinux is?
This version of Linux is a complete Ubuntu running on windows based systems like windows Xp, Vista, 2k, 2003 but all should be 32-bit operating systems. It will not run on 64-bit operating systems. AndLinux is free and this project started for Dynamism. Here I will not depict the history of andLinux. It is not only for development and it runs all Linux applications with out need of modification.
Requirements to run andLinux
- Operating system: Operating could be any of the Windows versions like Xp, Vista, 2k, 2003. Presently andLinux supports 32-bit operating systems only.
- Memory space: 128 MB is the least memory requirement and 192 MB is recommended and at least 256 MB should be allocated for Windows xp, 2k, 2003 and for vista it should be 512.
- Secondary hard drive space: 2.5/4.5 GB depending upon versions. For XFCE version 2.5 GB and for KDE version 4.5 GB. Another important point is your file system should be NTFS because you can not create files larger than 2 GB on a FAT system.
- If you want to install further application via apt-get/synaptic you need a good internet connection.
- To manage Linux some basic skills are required which you can gain by browsing through internet. Try to learn some basic commands of Linux searching through search engines like Google.
You will get the following things with andLinux
- A fully functional Linux system but you will not get usual Linux desktop because you already got windows Desktop.
- A second Panel/Start menu in the system tray next to the clock from which you can automatically Start Linux applications.
- Both Linux and Windows apps can be run simultaneously and you can cut/copy and paste text between them.
- For further installation of apps you will get apt/synaptic.
Installation of andLinux
Now stable version of andLinux is available and you can download it in various versions and from some important websites.
If you want to download andLinux through Torrent then go for LinuxTracker.
Minimal/XFCE Version :
SIZE – 131 MB
Link – sourceforge.net via http
md5 – 9b426a718570ef6b8755c830f8a1b25e
sha1 – 0a635956d265fa4fae505a0e6d41a3644b225f62
KDE Version :
SIZE – 653 MB
Link – sourceforge.net via http
md5 – 46e5298f27c29595fc145514931fdb4b
The installation goes through simple but effective steps and make no mistake In following these steps.
- This is the start up version window from KDE Version. Windows installer will configure andLinux automatically. andLinux comes with two options either run it in a command windows or as a NT service in background.
- I will explain these options and you choose according to your necessity and comfort.
1: If chosen option is command window then you have to start it via a shortcut.
2: If you choose NT service option, you have the choice of either starting it from control panel manually or have it utomatically start as a Windows service.
- Start up version for minimalistic / XFCE version of andLinux is quite different and you can choose from XFCE panel or andLinux launcher to start the applications.
- There are two ways by which you can access files on windows using andLinux.
1: CoLinux File system (COFS)
2: Windows File Shares (Samba)
- Configuration of COFS is easy and the next option you have to follow extra steps. But if you involve special characters in filenames then you can choose this option. Setting up Samba is explained in next step.
- Set up a shared folder/drive in windows. You can now configure Samba.
- Enter the name of File share you created in your system. If you assign username and password to file share then type in the preceding boxes. Click Next to continue and don’t care if you get a warning message. This message comes because WinTap driver is not Microsoft Certified
Note: While creating a windows share don’t use spaces in names
If you haven’t choose start andLinux automatically, start andLinux from Start menu or from Quick launch.
If you chose run andLinux from command window at setup then andLinux will run in a minimized window which is labeled andserver. Here is an important note for you, don’t close the window if you chose the option run andLinux automatically at the time of setup.
In case you need to restart andLinux manually then you can browse through installation folder and find srvstart.bat and execute it.
Once this Linux is completely running you can start application from XFCE panel.
Screenshots of andLinux running on Windows system